Completed To Duel a Master

Welcome to SWGalaxy RPG
Want to see more information on the setting and character creation? Check out the sidebar to the left

Kylar Thrane

Lord of Admirals
Staff member
Community Team
Jedi Order
Nov 26, 2020
Character - Kylar Thrane, Jedi Knight

Location - Ossus, Hall of the Knights

Kylar's
wounds from JanFathal had healed, though the muscles on his left torso still ached from time to time. He stretched his arms high as he walked across the stone floor of the dueling room. This was one of many sparring and training arenas within the Hall of Knights.

It was night on Ossus. The cold mountain air blew in thru the high stone carved windows. Observation benches ringed the arena and wood burning braziers chased away the pockets of cold air while overhead the room was illuminated by a pale blue-white light shining from the kyber crystal laps which hung all throughout the structure.

A several Jedi and soldiers of the Phoenix Legion were gathered in the stands, albeit huddled around the warm fires.

Kylar breathed in the atmosphere and sighed. Ossus was becoming a fine home. Though that was not his purpose here tonight. No, he needed to improve himself and hone his lightsaber skills. And who better to face than the Grand-Master Bela Khes herself.

Kylar continued to stretch and pace. Unlike traditional Jedi robes, he preferred training for combat with what he would be fighting in.....thus his attire of padded armor and heavy plated armor from Cinnigar in the Tetan system. He rolled his neck and held is lightsaber in patience for the arrival of Grand-Master Bela Khess.

Last edited:
Bela Khess | Jedi Grand Master
Location - Ossus, Hall of the Knight

Today she was to put her best pupil, a man who had earned his stripes personally serving at her side, to one of the greatest tests of his knighthood. The eerily frigid aura of the arena was invigorating for Bela...it was like dangling chocolate at a children's playground. It was rare she would let loose other than on the battlefield. Yet her strength had never just been in her mind: It was in the power she mustered through the Force.

Bela was at a perpetual crossroads in her Jedi path. She was ever the dutiful and silent watcher of the wall as trained by the old Jedi. But she also bore the relentless and fierce spirit of the new. At times, some viewed her as intemperate. Others had described her as a gentle breeze upon rocky waves. Bela was prone to bend the Jedi Code to suit her own purposes, while also being unapologetic in its enforcement. She may have been a perfect paradox or the worst pandora's box. Despite that, they somehow still entrusted her with the keys to the kingdom. A kingdom in which one must honour the peacekeepers of the past and inspire and educate the warriors of the future.

Young Kylar Thrane of House Thrane was a force to be reckoned with. He had the strength, will, and intellect to see him through every obstacle. What he lacked, though, was humility. Sadly, when one failed to admit their own shortcomings, they were most vulnerable to temptations by the Dark Side. She hoped this lesson would prove rewarding for him, in more ways than one. There was more than one path to victory.

Bela didn't plan on being announced in the usual fashion. That would be far too easy for the eager knight. She would dive into him blind.

She clasped her hands, her index and middle fingers meeting together in solemn meditation. Her eyes closed, focused on the battle ahead. "Ancestors, give me your strength. Ancestors, give me your wisdom. Ancestors, give me your peace. The Force be with me," she softly uttered as her footsteps etched forward.

Then she came upon the arena, but not from the expected entrance opposite of Kylar. Atop the rafters, Bela's eyes looked down upon the Knight. She was unable to restrain her smile as she watched him stretch and pace. This smile though was one of immense pride. Kylar was preparing himself, just as he should.

One generous knight had offered his time to be their announcer. "I present you our challenger today, the noblest Jedi Knight, and our most honourable and glorious commander of the Phoenix Legion, Kylar of the Alderaan House of Thrane!" The knights, even those huddled around the firepits, roared with cheers. Many of them saw themselves in Kylar. A man who led by example. Not unlike the legend of Anakin Skywalker.

"From the ashes! From the ashes! From the ashes!" chanted the Knights in unison, as tables were banged with fists and glasses clinked in support.

"And his opponent today, as specially chosen by Knight Thrane, is....the sword and beacon of the Jedi Order herself, Grand Master Bela Khess!"

On cue, the tune of the trumpets roared, as befit a battle between the Phoenix Legion's commander and the Order's Grand Master. Her discreetness had been far spent, and she didn't wait for the applause to begin or finish before jumping down from the high ceilings above.

She landed squarely on her feet. Her gold twin curved-hilt lightsabers were drawn against the backdrop of her classic Shien/Djem So stance. "Well, hello there."

@Kylar Thrane

Character - Kylar Thrane, Jedi Knight
Location - Ossus, Hall of Knights

The cheers and music from those gathered seemed to warm the cool night air, as Kylar breathed in the comradeship present among the Jedi here. Yet, he did not wallow in it.....that was not why he was here.

He was here to be tested, to be quenched in fire to emerge hardened, to improve his skill. Throughout the Clone War, he had bested countless enemies, war droids, assassins, and several of Dooku's dark Acolytes. Many had fallen by his sword, and yet Kylar still did not feel fully challenged. He had never dueled Dooku or Ventress.....he had not faced Darth Maul.....he was off-world when his friend Anakin Skywalker had fought Darth Sidious to a stand-still....and that had cost Anakin his life.....

Kylar paused for a moment....he missed his friend.......

....so it was plain to him from his Alderaan military training: he had faced proper foes in all forms of battle, save for the sword.

That's why he yearned to face himself against the Bela Khess. Not to prove anything nor even to win....but to learn from a swordswoman who had faced certain death by another's lightsaber and had emerged victorious.

Kylar was so lost in his thoughts that suddenly he realized his opponent had not entered the arena. "Hmm, odd. What is keeping Grandmaster Khess, I wonder?"

At the last moment he felt the oncoming shock wave of energy, and immediately surged the Force into his muscles to quickly spring back a pacw as the Grandmaster landed directly infront of, gold sabers blazing.

The on-lookers in thr stands were cheering wildly for the Grandmaster, especially after her stunning entrance.

"Well, hello there."

Kylar drew his own hand-and-half hilt and reorientated himself into his Form V two-handed stance in front of Bela. He offered a small bow of respect.

"You mask your presence well, Master. Plo Koon never instructed me in how to hide my aura. Instead, he taught me to project it." At this, Kylar ignited his dark blue blade and assumed the high-guard stance of his homeworld, la posta di falcone. With is blade held high over his head, he sent a pulse of confidence and trust through the Force, that all Jedi present would feel. Not in a boastful way, but a feeling of inspiration and hope. He wanted this to be a good and powerful duel with Grandmaster Khess. "I thank you for making time for me, Master. I know you are immeasurably buried in tasks, thus I truly appreciate this time to spare. I have run out of training partners as of late." He took a deep breath to focus himself, as he measured up the Grandmaster's stance and her twin blades.

"Now, shall we?", he asked. He let a moment breath for Khess to acknowledge and then he strode a pace forward to deliver a heavy downward slash across her. As their blades clashed for the first time sending plasma sparks flying, their fellow Jedi on lookers roared with excitement.

Last edited: